University of The Free State Notable Alumni
Welcome to the UFS Alumni Community
University of The Free State Notable Alumni, Alumni of the University of the Free State belong to a distinguished network of graduates whose competencies, successes and contributions enable them to make their mark wherever they may be. Our alumni community provides a true reflection of our institution’s quality, image and reputation.
Your involvement is important for the growth and development of the University of the Free State. The Alumni Office is committed to keeping you informed and engaged. We welcome your suggestions for events, engagement opportunities and better communication.
University of The Free State Notable Alumni, Alumnus definition: A person who obtained a formal academic qualification.
- Main List: Notable Alumni of the University of the Free State
- Bram Fischer (1908–1975): Grandson of Abraham Fischer, lawyer, and notable anti-apartheid activist, including legal defense of anti-apartheid figures, such as Nelson Mandela.
- P.W. Botha (1916–2006): Prime Minister of South Africa from 1978 to 1984 and the first executive state president from 1984 to 1989.
- Hansie Cronje (1969–2002): Controversial South African cricketer and captain of the South African national cricket team in the 1990s.
- Leon Schuster (1951–): Well known South African filmmaker, comedian, actor, presenter and singer.
- Colin Ingram (1985–): Cricketer of the current South African national cricket team.
- Susan Vosloo : South Africa’s first female cardio-thoracic surgeon.
- Rolene Strauss (1992–): Miss World 2014
- Wayde van Niekerk (1992–): 400m world record holder.
Institutional Advancement: Alumni
T: +27 51 401 9343
University Of the Free State
205 Nelson Mandela Drive
Main Building: North Block, Ground Floor 6E
PO Box 339