University of The Free State Masters In Development Studies
University of The Free State Masters In Development Studies, The Centre for Development Support within the Faculty of Economics and Management Sciences at the University of the Free State invites applications for its two-year multi-disciplinary Masters in Development Studies programme that combines distance-based learning with five one-week contact sessions held at the University of the Free State.
Compulsory first-year modules :
- Underdevelopment and Development ;
- Development and the Natural Environment ;
- Applied Development Research; and
- Project Management.
Select two elective modules with a mini-dissertation in second year;
- Rural and Agrarian Development ;
- Gender and Development ;
- Tourism and Development ;
- Enterpreneurship and Development ;
- Local Economic Development and Development and Housing Policy ;
- Health and Development ;
- HIV and AIDS and Development ; and
- Migration and Development.
The Centre for Development Support (CDS) is a progressive research and development unit within the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences at the University of the Free State (UFS) with the broad aim of promoting sustainable human development in the broader South African society. In addition to this, the CDS also presents a two-year multi-disciplinary Master’s Programme in Development Studies (MDS) with lecturers from sixteen departments at the UFS, by means of resource-based learning. This degree is designed for people who are currently working in a development-related context, or who intend to do so.
To be a leading research, training, and knowledge centre promoting sustainable human development
Promoting sustainable development through:
- Conducting applied and policy-orientated research to inform, steer, and facilitate development initiatives, development programmes, and academic excellence
- Building capacity through training and development programmes
- Being a knowledge centre focused on four niche areas, namely
- poverty and social development,
- human settlements/housing
- local economic development/enterprise development, and
- socio-economic characteristics of arid areas
- Rendering a consultative service on socio-economic development issues and initiatives to clients in the private and public sector, as well as the NGOs and CBOs
- Being part of a broad network of national and international development expertise.
The CDS strives to achieve this mission with passion, a spirit of entrepreneurship, and through partnerships.
For more information and/or to apply contact :
Ms Ontebile Dube
Centre for Development Support
University of the Free State
PO Box 339
Tel : +27 (0)51 401 3746/3694
Fax : +27 (0)51 401 3424