University of The Free State Engineering
EnSci – Engineering Sciences add value to UFS academy
University of The Free State Engineering, The University of the Free State is very excited about the establishment of a new study field at Kovsies – a BSc degree majoring in Physics and Engineering subjects. The course is presented in the Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences on the Bloemfontein Campus.
This UFS course can be seen as a 3-year course in fundamental Engineering Sciences. The student will be sufficiently equipped to apply at another university and complete the last two years of the Engineering degree in a specific discipline, e.g. Civil Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering.
After successfully completing the three-year degree at the UFS, the student may choose to:
- Obtain a BSc degree, majoring in Physics and Engineering subjects and entering the employment market.
- Continue to study for an honours, master’s or doctoral degree in Physics, or
- Apply to register for a second degree – BEng or BScEng (for two additional years) at another university that recognises the UFS degree. Acceptance is subject to conditions.
Prospective students who are interested in this field, should apply before 30 September 2016 according to the UFS application procedure and should achieve the following in the final NSC or equivalent examination:
- An AP score of 34 or more (strongly recommended),
- An AP score of 7 in Mathematics and 6 in Physical Science,
- Completion of NBT tests, and
- An AP score of 4 or more in language of instruction.